Funding

Nordplus grants are a contribution to cover the actual costs of project activities. Nordplus Horizontal can meet up to 50% of the total project costs. This means that a degree of self-financing must be calculated into the total actual costs. Applications to Nordplus Horizontal must include a budget with an overview of the total estimated costs for the activities and a plan of how these costs will be financed. Applicants are recommended to use the budget template that can be found at www.nordplusonline.org.

Approved costs include the participating institutions' internal financing. In addition to cash funding, in-kind contributions like work hours put into the Nordplus project, can be included in the internal financing. It is possible to receive full support for e.g. travel and board and lodging if the institution's own financing constitutes at least 50% of the total project costs.

Applications for funding can include support for travel, board and lodging, administration, production and other costs. Nordplus Horizontal does not define a maximum allocation limit, preferring instead to let the applicants themselves define their need for funding for any given project. However, applicants must note that Nordplus Horizontal has a limited budget and that approximately 1 million euro is awarded in total each year. For that reason, careful consideration is given to whether the amount applied for is proportionate to the description of the individual project, its activities and results. The Nordplus Horizontal administration may reduce allocation to a project approved for a grant if the need for the grant is not clearly described or justified in the project description. An average Nordplus Horizontal grant is approximately 50,000 euro.

Support for travel costs

Nordplus Horizontal does not award grants for individual mobility. Accordingly, the unit costs applicable to mobility activities under the other Nordplus programmes do not apply to Horizontal. Travel and board and lodging costs must be calculated in relation to real costs, and these will be approved as long as the expenses are related to project- or network activities.

Support for administrative expenses

For projects and networks only, the coordinating institution may use a maximum of 5% of the total used grant for administrative expenses to meet the added cost of coordinating the activities. Coordinators do not need to provide supporting documentation of administrative expenses.

Ineligible costs

  • Overheads, i.e. general unspecified costs not directly connected to the Nordplus project
  • Purchasing of office equipment (such as IT equipment)
  • Costs for non-Nordic and non-Baltic participants
  • Costs for activities outside the Nordic and Baltic countries

Generally speaking, Nordplus does not cover salary costs, but networks/ projects can include work hours directly related to Nordplus activities as part of their self-financing.

Special needs

Costs involving participants with special needs may be met by a grant of up to 100%. In the event of disabled participants requiring additional help and support, the network/project may apply for further funds after the ordinary application deadline. The application should be addressed directly to the main administrator of Nordplus Horizontal. A medical certificate is usually required. Additional funds may be provided to cover the cost of a companion, interpreter or similar.

This rule only applies to participants in activities that have already been given a grant.

Irregular use of funds

If the funds are not used as implied in the contract, and/or final reports are not submitted as agreed upon in the contract, the main administrator can decide to hold back or to withdraw funds.

Payments and audits

Applicants may receive full funding (the sum applied for), partial funding (only some of the activities applied for are funded, or the budget has been reduced due to ineligible costs or inaccurate calculations), or the entire application may be rejected. All applicants receive detailed information on the grant they have been awarded. If funding has been granted for part of the application only, the applicant will receive information about this and the reasons for the reduction.

The grant is paid to the project or network coordinator responsible for the funds throughout the contract period. The project/network determines how resources are to be distributed among the partners. The approved contributions are paid in two separate instalments: 80% after the contract has been signed and the remainder (20%) after the final report has been approved. For applications granted 15,000 euro or less, 100% of the funds are paid after the contract has been signed.

The grant must be recorded in accordance with national and internal regulations as a separate cost item in the institution or organisation's account so that all payments are visible in the event of an audit.