Funding

Different rules apply to the diverse Nordplus Junior activities. Grants for mobility activities cover travel costs for pupils, and both travel plus accommodation costs for teachers and other pedagogical staff.

Grants for project and network activities cover travels, expenses for board and lodging, and other relevant costs connected to the activities within the project/network. See further details below.

Within each application round there are earmarked funding for projects on Nordic languages.

Funding of mobility activities

The funding of mobility activities in Nordplus Junior is based on fixed travel rates. Applications for mobility activities do not require documented co-financing; however, a certain degree of self-financing must be foreseen, as the fixed travel rates might not cover the actual costs. Hotel prices or flight tickets may be more expensive than what the grants can cover. The fixed travel rates apply for return trips.

Fixed maximum travel rates for mobility activities A, D and E:

  • A. Preparatory visits (teachers only)
  • D.  Individual student exchange - theoretical studies (including accompanying teacher)
  • E. Individual student exchange - work placement (including accompanying teacher)

FIXED MAXIMUM TRAVEL RATES (mobility activity A, D and E) Preparatory visits, individual student exchanges for theoretical studies and work placements

ROUTEAMOUNT (RETURN JOURNEY)
To and from Greenland 1300 €
To and from Färöarna och Island 660 €
Between Denmark, Estonia, Finland, Latvia, Lithuania, Norway, Sweden and Åland330 €
Domestic, more than 500 km, return trip 150 €
Grants for domestic travel can be applied for, both for travel in the home country and in the country where the partner school is situated.   

Fixed maximum travel rates for mobility activities B and C:

  • B. Teacher exchanges (and other pedagogical staff)
  • C. Class exchanges
Country CodeDKEEFOFIGLISLVLTNOSEAX500 km*
DKX3004003001300450300300300200200150
EE300X6601501300660150200330330330150
FO400660X6601300450660660660660660150
FI300150660X1300550250250330300150150
GL1300130013001300X100013001300130013001300150
IS4506604505501000X660660550550550150
LV3001506602501300660X150330330330150
LT3002006602501300660150X330330330150
NO3003306603301300550330330X250330150
SE2003306603001300550330330250X200150
AX2003306601501300550330330330200X150
*Domestic more than 500 km (both ways)

The amount in the domestic travels column can be applied for if travels within the country are above 500 km (return trip) and if the total travel cost is particularly expensive. In the Espresso application system, you apply for this contribution by selecting travel to and from your own country. Accordingly, this contribution is applied for in addition to the other ordinary travel contributions between participating countries.

Fixed rates for accommodation/board - for teachers and pedagogical staff: (not for pupils/students)

DAY  WEEKMONTH
Teachers and mentors70 €355 €1065 €

The lump-sum principle

When an application has been approved, the applicant will be informed of how much the project has been allocated. This will be expressed in a number of approved mobilities (1 mobility = 1 return journey between partners in a mobility project).

All mobility projects are covered by the lump-sum principle. This principle means that if partners in a project manage to finance the number of mobilities with a lower sum than granted, they can use the surplus money for relevant project activities without having to present proof of these expenses. Such surplus money could be used to cover accommodation and board expenses for students, or other costs related to the project.

In the final report, the grant holders must affirm the actual number of accomplished mobilities in the project. If they have completed fewer mobilities than granted, a repayment must be made.

Funding of projects and networks

Applications for projects and networks can include grants for travel and board and lodging for teachers and mentors, support for information activities, dissemination of results, production of material and other relevant costs in connection with the project.

Applications for projects/networks must also attach a separate budget. The budget template is available on www.nordplusonline.org and it is also linked to in the application system Espresso. The budget draft must have detailed entries and be correctly filled in. The budget entries must also be motivated for in the commentary field.

Example of budget template:

BUDGET                              

EUR - EURONORDPLUS CONTRIBUTIONOWN CONTRIBUTIONSUM
Project support000
Travel expenses   000
Board and lodging000
Work hours (only own contribution)000
Others costs (specify below) 000
SUM _Project support000
SUM _TOTAL000

Self-financing

Funding for project and network activities in Nordplus Junior may comprise a maximum of 75% of the approved costs. In the attached budget, the applicant must show what the remaining 25% of self-financing will consist of. Self-financing in the form of working hours directly linked to the project/network is allowed and is then included in the overall budget.

Support for administrative expenses

For projects and networks only, the coordinating institution may use a maximum of 5% of the total grant for administrative expenses to meet the added cost of coordinating the activities. This grant for administration must be applied for and motivated in the calculated budget. Coordinators do not need to provide supporting documentation of administrative expenses.

Ineligible costs

  • Overheads, i.e. general unspecified costs not directly connected to the project/network
  • Salaries (but project/networks can include work hours as self-financing)
  • Office equipment (such as IT equipment and fixed inventory)
  • Costs for non-Nordic or non-Baltic participants
  • Costs for activities outside the Nordic or Baltic countries

Special needs

Costs involving participants with special needs may be met by a grant of up to 100%. If support for special needs is required, coordinators may apply both in the ordinary round, and if the project is funded after the application deadline. When applying in the ordinary round, the need must be explained in the application. The application should be addressed directly to the main administrator if the application is after the ordinary round, and only applies to participants in projects which have already been funded.

A doctor's certificate, or a certificate issued by the school nurse, is required but should be kept by the institution and not enclosed in the application. Additional funds may be approved to cover the cost of a companion, interpreter or similar.

Irregular use of funds

If the funds are not used as implied in the contract, and/or final reports are not submitted as agreed upon in the contract, the main administrator can decide to hold back or withdraw funds.

Payments and audits

All applicants receive detailed information on the conditions of the grant, if awarded one. If funding has been granted for parts of the application only, the applicant will receive information about this and the reasons for the reduction. Reductions might be the result of ineligible costs, calculation errors, or that only certain activities were approved. Applications who are not eligible, or have reached the approved level of quality, will be rejected.

Funds are paid to the project coordinator, who is then responsible for the allocation during the project period. Within each project, the partners and coordinator jointly decide how the contribution is to be distributed between the participating institutions.

For applications granted 15,000 Euros or less, 100% of the funds are paid after the contract has been signed. Applications granted more than 15,000 Euros will receive the grant in two separate instalments: 80% after the contract has been signed and the remaining 20% after the final report has been approved. The grant will be disbursed in Euros and should not be converted to another currency due to the risk of losing funding because of changes in currency rates.

Note: The Swedish Council for Higher Education will issue the payment no later than 45 calendar days after the signed contract has been received by the Nordplus Administration.

The grant must be recorded in accordance with national and internal regulations as a separate cost item in the institution's accounting so that all payments are visible in the event of an audit. The coordinating entity should save the documentation for at least five years.

At www.nordplusonline.org you can find the following guides and template:

  • “User and help guide when applying in Nordplus Junior”
  • “Nordplus budget model” (template for project/networks only)
  • “FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions”
  • “Advice on financial management for granted projects”
  • "User and help guide when reporting in Nordplus Junior”